Friday, February 24, 2012

Please believe me - this is the BEST!

I don't know what made me remember this recipe.  It was the week after Christmas and I was still on break. Maybe that is the explanation... my head was relatively clear and not bad-addled with one million thoughts of students, essays, and lessons.  The Darling Husband loves a little early evening snack/appetizer of Bar Cheese and crackers (usually Triscuits).  We were out of Bar Cheese, and I suddenly remembered this recipe. It is an old recipe of my mom's.  I got the ingredients and whipped it up.  It is so easy and so delicious.  It makes four nice sized tubs of cheese and keeps for a long time in the fridge.  EVERYONE loves this stuff.  We are out, but luckily I picked up the ingredients to make it at the grocery store yesterday.  Good thing, because we are in the middle of a big old snow storm and no one is going anywhere today (including school - the kids and I all have the day off.  Yee-haw!  I seriously needed this.)

It is kind of embarassing to show you the ingredients.  But, I promise it is so good.

Here is what you will need:

Velveeta (don't judge...)


Horseradish


Beer (you only need 5 ounces, so you get to drink the rest!)


Mayonnaise (Duke's, of course!)


And a little Tabasco


Cube the cheese and put it in a saucepan.


Melt the cheese and add all the other ingredients.  Stir until smooth.


Pour into four or five small containers.


Try not to eat it all while it is still warm.  Seriously not kidding.  You can eat it while warm, or you can let it cool and put it in the fridge before eating.  Store in the fridge.  It will get firm like store bought Bar Cheese.  Once you eat this, you will never be able to go back to the store bought variety.

Delicious Cheese Spread

2 lbs. Velveeta (one box)
8 ounces horseradish (one jar)
1 generous cup of mayonnaise (preferably Duke's, which you can order online here!)
10 drops Tabasco
5 ounces beer

Cube cheese.  Melt over med/low heat, stiring while melting.  Stir in horseradish, mayonnaise, Tabasco, and beer.  Stir until smooth.  Pour into containers.

Makes 5 cups.




No comments:

Post a Comment