Sunday, February 27, 2011

Waiting for Spring...

Last weekend, it got warm out and it looked like this:
and this:
and the sun was streaming in the window, making my houseplants look like this:
and this:
and this:
I put my Sarah Barellis Pandora station on the stereo, turned up the volume, cooked in the kitchen, and enjoyed the sunshine.  Ahh... thoughts of spring.

And then the storm came.  On Sunday evening a snowstorm hit.  Snow, snow mixed with rain, and ice.  We ended up with another snow day on Monday.  I am starting to NOT want any more snow days!  My students are behind (we have had four so far this semester) and I am getting tired of adjusting my lesson plans and trying to figure out what to cut and what to squeeze in.

Today is Sunday again.  I slept in until 8:30. Ahhh.... (Normally I have to get up at 5:30, so 8:30 feels like really sleeping in!) I came downstairs to make coffee and it looked like this:
At least my narcissus bulbs are almost in bloom and there is a wishbone on my windowsill.  Things could be worse, right?  I decided to make a pot roast, so I peeled some potatoes and carrots, cut them up, and threw them in the crock pot.  Then I browned a chuck roast in a little oil and threw that in.  Then I stirred two packages of Lipton Onion Soup Mix into a cup of water (the magic elixir for pot roast) and poured it over the top.  I had it all done by 9:00 am, and I set the crock pot to low.  Maybe this afternoon I will bake some bread to go with it.

I love Sunday mornings, because I am always the first one up.  I usually get up around 8:30, which gives me a little alone time before I have to start waking up the crew for church.  (Not an easy task with teenagers in the house...)  I enjoy my coffee and usually spend the time grading papers, or like today, blogging.  I absolutely adore my coffee mugs.  They make me so happy.  They are from Park City, Utah, where my parents have a vacation home.  I saw them at an artist's collective one time when I was out visiting, and my mom got them for me for my birthday years ago.  Each one is a little bit different, because they are handmade.  This one is my favorite:
I love its shape and the way the glaze drips down the sides.

Later today, I hope to go cross country skiing with the darling husband.  I need to get out of the house and get some exercise.  I am a little bleh, and I am hoping the exercise will help.  I have a big pile of essays to finish grading for my AP Literature kids.  I don't want to do it!  I am in the mood to sew today.  Maybe I can squeeze a little bit of that in later if I am lucky.  I'll keep you posted...

No comments:

Post a Comment